Kansas wouldn’t give Oklahoma State the satisfaction of a sweep of the season series, not this time.
Kansas is a good team playing in an incredibly tough conference. They look worse than they are because they are down from the level at which we are used to seeing them play and they have much tougher opponents in conference than normal. The Jayhawks showed a lot of heart in this game. They threw the ball away all night and still won by double digits. Kansas have three relatively easy games coming up and then three really tough ones to end the conference season.
- Unranked Kansas hosts #23 Oklahoma State. That feels wrong, but it’s true.
- Kansas is trying to establish David McCormack, but McCormack is getting blocked by a 6’2” player. However, he is doing a decent job of finding other players instead of just shooting it every time he touches it.
- Offense remains difficult for Kansas.
- I know it’s not just Kansas, college players have such a difficult time stopping short of the basket and taking a short jumper. They put their heads down and go to the basket and it’s an easy charge, especially these days when officials are all too happy to call a charge.
- One really nice thing for Kansas in this game is Marcus Garrett’s drives to the basket. He is getting good position on his defender and turning it into easy points. He did a lot more of that last season. It seems like this season he has been shooting over defenders which is much more difficult.
- Cade Cunningham is a head case. He lets the smallest things throw him off his game.
- David McCormack plays like he is much smaller than he is. He worries about defenders affecting his shot when he just needs to go up and dunk the ball. He learned nothing watching Udoka Azubuike.
- Kansas leads 28-25 at the half.
- Kansas starts the second half up three in what is a huge game for the Jayhawks.
- The Jayhawks are playing better than Oklahoma State in the second half, but there are just too many bad passes that go out of bounds and are unforced turnovers.
- I don’t think there is one Jayhawk who is better than the rest at throwing the ball away. They are equally good.
- And now Marcus Garrett is going to the basket but shooting over defenders which leads to missed shots.
- Ochai Agbaji doesn’t want to be left out of the party. He says, “Hold my beer” and throws it to Oklahoma State right under the basket for easy points.
- How many possessions does Kansas lose just by being careless? It’s incredible!
- As bad as Kansas has been handling the ball, they have actually done a decent job of feeding David McCormack in the low post in this game.
- Kansas wins it 78-66.