The Chiefs struggled all game. The defense couldn’t stop the Buccaneers. The offensive line couldn’t protect Patrick Mahomes. It wasn’t pretty.
Well, that was no fun. Tampa Bay completely dominated the game. The offensive line could not protect Patrick Mahomes. The play calling didn’t help the line. The defense was awful. Bad game. It happens.
- The Chiefs won the coin toss. They are now 1-3 in coin tosses in the Super Bowl.
- The Chiefs hold Tampa Bay to three and out to start the game. Nice start.
- The Tampa Bay punting game is not good early.
- Chiefs are gaining yards but haven’t broken rough yet. Harrison Butker does give them a 3-0 lead with a 49-yard field goal.
- Tampa Bay picked apart the Chiefs’ defense to take a 7-3 lead. Tom Brady hit his tight ends three times on that drive. That’s the first touchdown drive in the first quarter for Tom Brady in a Super Bowl. It’s a game of adjustments. Let’s see how the Chiefs respond on this drive. We have less than a minute remaining in the first quarter.
- Tampa Bay leads 7-3 after one quarter.
- Stupid penalty for Chris Jones. Don’t help them.
- Tampa Bay with another rather easy drive down the field, but the Chiefs defense stopped them at the half-yard line. What a stop!
- And a terrible punt for the Chiefs gives the Buccaneers great field position.
- The a chiefs intercept Brady but Charvarius Ward is called for a holding penalty that didn’t exist.
- Nice job by the defense. Tampa held to a field goal. But the Chiefs are offsides and the Bucs are handed a first down. The Chiefs are killing themselves.
- Brady hits Rob Gronkowski for a touchdown. It’s 14-3 Tampa Bay.
- Chiefs’ Twitter is losing its mind, but that’s why we are sports coverage for the thinking fan. There is still a lot of time to go.
- And the Chiefs drive down the field with multiple passes to Travis Kelce in the middle of the field.
- But the Chiefs are held to a field goal. 14-6 Tampa Bay.
- The Chiefs give Tampa Bay many yards on penalties and the Buccaneers score a touchdown. It’s 21-6 Tampa Bay. The Chiefs used two timeouts to try to get the ball back. The first I agreed with. The second was on third and two. I wouldn’t have called that. But it’s worked for the Chiefs this season. Those timeouts didn’t cost them the touchdown. Poor defense was the reason. Bashaud Breeland got beat and ended up getting called for pass interference. It’s was the right call. Now, the Tyrann Mathieu pass interference in the end zone was a bad one, but the better team in a game often gets the calls.
- Tampa Bay leads 21-6 at the half.
- The Chiefs get the ball to start the second half. I would say they need a touchdown in one of their first two possessions of the third quarter, but we saw the game last year. They only need eight minutes or so. I would prefer they don’t try that again.
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire with a run to start the half which is the longest offensive play of the night for the Chiefs.
- The Chiefs moved the ball but were held to a 52-yard penalty. Chiefs trail 21-9.
- Tampa with an easy drive down the field for a touchdown and a 28-9 lead.
- I wasn’t worried about the injuries to the Chiefs’ offensive line. I maybe should have been.
- So, a Mahomes interceptions turns into a Tampa Bay field goal. It’s 31-9 Tampa Bay. I haven’t given up yet. Maybe I should, but… Patrick Mahomes.
- The Chiefs are driving as the quarter ends. Tampa Bay leads 31-9 after three quarters.
- So, Patrick Mahomes ran for his life and made a great play just getting the ball off and it was dropped for what would have been a touchdown or at least a first down. This is not meant to be. But the Chiefs still have Patrick Mahomes.
- Let’s be clear. The Chiefs did nothing to help the offensive line. And the defense has allowed 31 points so far. This game is not all on the offensive line.
- If you blame the officials for this Chiefs loss, you are not paying attention. Tampa Bay completely dominated the Chiefs. That happens. The Chiefs will be back. Patrick Mahomes is still the best quarterback to ever play in the NFL.
- This game will either bring the team together or tear them apart. I have no doubt it will bring them together. Hey, if getting your butt kicked in the Super Bowl is a bad season, sign me up.
- Tampa Bay wins 31-9.