It’s a Sporting day today as the boys in blue host the Chicago Fire at Children’s Mercy Park. Sporting will try to make it back-to-back victories but this time they will have to do so without Alan Pulido. Will Sporting be able to score without him?
No local games
7:30pm – MLS – FSKC – Chicago Fire at Sporting Kansas City
DO WHAT GOT YOU THERE
The New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays played Game 2 of their American League Division series Tuesday night. When you think of a team using an opener you think of the Rays. You certainly don’t think of the Yankees.
But Tuesday night it was the Yankees that used the opener. Aaron Boone decided to start 21-year old Deivi Garcia and bring in J.A. Happ to start the second inning. Happ allowed four runs in his first two innings. It’s not that Happ isn’t a good pitcher but he had only appeared in relief in one game the past five season and none this year. And Happ had an ERA of 3.47 during the regular season.
I say this not to update you on the status of the Yankees/Rays series but to talk about how to approach decisions, especially those of the Chiefs in this season in which they are attempting to win back-to-back Super Bowls.
The path to success for the Chiefs’ offense is to put the ball in Patrick Mahomes’ hands. So when they go for it on fourth and one, do you hand the ball off to Anthony Sherman to run up the middle or do you put the ball in Mahomes’ hands and let him make a play?
We have seen that the Sherman run up the middle is not a sure thing in short yardage. Unlike the Yankees, the Chiefs should not try to be cute or do the unexpected to catch their opponent off-guard, if the expected option has a much higher chance for success. Don’t bring J.A. Happ out of the bullpen. Have him start the game. And don’t hand the ball off to Sherman. Let the best quarterback isn’t the history of the game make a play.
Let’s all learn from this.
CHIEFS NEWS AND NOTES
- WR Bashaud Breeland returned from suspension after Monday’s game. WR Marcus Kemp was waived to make room on the active roster for Breeland.
LOCAL NEWS AND NOTES
- Connor Bazelak is Missouri’s quarterback going forward. The two-quarterback approach is done for now.
- There are discussions about possibly moving the Missouri game at LSU this Saturday to Columbia because of concerns with a tropical storm.
NATIONAL NEWS AND NOTES
- The NCAA Division I council is expected to vote next week on a proposal that would allow athletes in all sports to transfer one time without having to sit out a season. Every sport already allows this except for basketball, baseball and hockey.
- North Dakota State QB Trey Lance has decided to skip playing in the spring and will declare for the NFL Draft. North Dakota State played one game this fall in order for NFL teams to scout Lance. They will play the majority of their schedule in the spring. Lance is expected to be a certain first-round pick.
The Missouri fifth-down game was 25 years ago but the pain lives on. (KC Star)
Thanks for reading…