It was a rough Saturday for the local teams. Both Sporting and the Royals did some good things but both lost. Sporting’s loss was much worse than that of the Royals. But that’s ok. Today the Chiefs play and that’s always a good day. And next weekend we will have all three local colleges playing for the first time this year.
Welcome to today’s Dr. Feelgood!
Brewers 5, Royals 0
FC Dallas 3, Sporting 2
1:10pm – MLB – FSKC – Kansas City Royals (Brad Keller, 4-2, 2.06) at Milwaukee Brewers (Josh Lindblom, 1-3, 5.26)
3:25pm – NFL – CBS – Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers
Brewers 5, Royals 0
The final was 5-0 in favor of Milwaukee, but Kris Bubic was the story for the Royals in this game. Bubic went 5 1/3 innings allowing just one run on one hit and four walks. He did have seven strikeouts.
Not all went well for Bubic. The four walks are too many. He’s not confident throwing strikes to major league hitters yet. It took 101 pitches to go just 5 1/3 innings. Bubic needs to throw pitches that are put in play with weak contact to go further in games. But he appears capable of being a good pitcher at the major league level.
Four of the five Milwaukee runs came in the ninth inning off of Scott Barlow. Barlow has been lit up lately and maybe has lost some of his confidence. I still expect him to be a quality relief pitcher but things aren’t going to be easy all of the time.
The offense only had four hits and all of them were singles. A lot of the credit goes to Brewers’ starter Corbin Burnes. Burnes was terrific. He had a lot of movement on his pitches. Burnes has been ridiculously good this year. His ERA is now 1.77 in eight starts and 11 total games. So, the offense was hard to find tonight for the Royals but it’s at least understandable.
The Royals need a win on Sunday to avoid a series sweep. Brad Keller gets the start, so the chances look as good as they can be for the Royals. Sunday’s game is the last road game of this short season for the Royals.
– Mike Matheny is pushing for 2B Nicky Lopez to win a Gold Glove. Matheny has said that he hasn’t seen a better defensive second baseman this season than Lopez.
– Jorge Soler will not return to the lineup in Milwaukee but he is getting closer. Soler is still feeling pain in his oblique.
– The Chiefs placed DT Khalen Saunders on injured reserve. The move means he will be out at least three weeks.
– The Chiefs activated Braxton Hoyett from the practice squad. Hoyett was activated for just this week and will return to the practice squad after the game. The one week decision is because Mike Pennel will be back for week three.
FC Dallas 3, Sporting 2
Sporting had opportunities to score in the first half but couldn’t. No opportunity was better than Gerso getting the ball just outside the six with just the keeper between him and the goal and he launched the ball over the goal.
Sporting had an unusual first half. They were out-shot by Dallas nine to five. The shots on goal were even at two. This is almost exactly opposite of what we have been used to seeing from Sporting this season.
Sporting fought back and tied the game in the second half behind two really nice Johnny Russell goals. The first hit the goal post and went in. The second was a beautiful header off of a Gianluca Busio free-kick.
Unfortunately, Graham Zusi gave the game back to Dallas when he tried to play a ball back to Tim Melia without realizing that Dallas had a player coming in. Melia made another great save to stop the first shot but couldn’t get back up in time to stop the rebound. Melia, however, is also to blame for this goal. He has to communicate with Zusi to make sure he knows he cannot play it back to the keeper. It was yet another example of Sporting’s bad defense this season.
FC Dallas hurts the league with their time killing. MLS needs to do something to stop the time killing. We normally see this but not to the ridiculous extent we saw from Dallas in this game.
If you were on the fence before, I now invite you to join me in saying that Sporting is going nowhere in the playoffs if they don’t fix this defense. Having seen this defense since last season, I do not expect it to be fixed any time soon. Enjoy the offense but expect more losses like this.
ROUND AND ROUND
– Dan Patrick is reporting that the Pac 12 will start play on November 6 and play 6 conference games plus a championship game.
– Dan Patrick is reporting that the Big Ten intentionally made the Nebraska schedule more difficult at the start because of Nebraska’s actions when the season was initially cancelled. The Huskers will start at Ohio State and then play at home against Wisconsin.
– Houston Astros pitcher Justin Verlander will have Tommy John surgery. He will likely miss all of the 2021 season, his last season under contract. Verlander said he will work to return to pitching but his career could be over.
Let me know what you think about anything in the world of Kansas City sports. Let’s have a discussion.
– Contact me on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor.
– Leave me an audio message at Keep In Touch.
– Email me at email@example.com.
I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
Thanks for reading…