This is a little different Motley Crew than usual. It’s usually a review of the previous day’s sports news. There is such little news right now so I saved up what little has taken place until today. It’s been almost a week since the last Motley Crew. Hopefully things will pick up a little with the NFL draft starting tonight.
Here is your daily Dr. Feelgood…
Major League Baseball released its report on the Boston Red Sox cheating investigation. MLB found that the chief culprit of the Red Sox sign stealing scandal was video replay operator J.T. Watkins. Watkins was suspended for the entire 2020 season, if there is one, and is suspended from the same position in 2021. Former manager Alex Cora was suspended for the 2020 season for his role in the Houston Astros cheating scandal, not the Red Sox scandal. The Red Sox also lost their second round 2020 draft pick.
Watkins was viewed as a rogue employee by Major League Baseball. The Red Sox supposedly communicated the sign-stealing rules to its players effectively which is why no management employees were disciplined.
– The Chiefs restructured the contract of G Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff to clear cap space for the draft.
– Levi Stockard entered the transfer portal and will leave Kansas State.
IN THE NEWS…
– The New England Patriots traded Rob Gronkowski and a 7th round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 4th round pick. Gronkowski is coming out of retirement to play again with Tom Brady.
– Major League Soccer extended its moratorium on matches to June 8. MLS Cup will be pushed back to December or later.
– MLB, all 30 teams, StubHub, Ticketmaster, Live Nation and Last Minute Transactions are being sued because they are not providing refunds to Baseball games that have been postponed due to the coronavirus. The suit is seeking class action status to allow everyone who has purchased tickets to join.
– The Korean Baseball League began spring training games on Tuesday in empty stadiums. The league announced that it would start the season on May 5 and would attempt to play its entire 144 game season.
PODCAST: The NFL draft begins tonight. I’ll review the latest news in the world of sports as well as the NFL draft from a Chiefs perspective first and foremost.
DROP ME A NOTE: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor. I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
Thanks for reading…