Most expected the Chiefs to have to cut Sammy Watkins this offseason but he agreed to rework his contract to take less money so he could stay with the team. It’s rare to see this happen. Most players will add years to their contract to reduce their cap space. Watkins simply took less money.
Here is your daily Dr. Feelgood…
– The Chiefs reached an agreement with WR Sammy Watkins on a one-year, $9 million contract for the 2020 season. The deal could reach $16 million in incentives and includes a no trade clause. It clears $5 million in cap space for the team.
– The Chiefs reached an agreement on a one-year contract with TE Ricky Seals-Jones. Sealed-Jones played in 14 games with the Cleveland Browns last season.
IN THE NEWS…
– President Trump met with commissioner of several sports leagues Saturday. He said that he believes the NFL season should start on time in September. He also expects fans back in stadiums and arenas by August.
– Tennessee Titans RB Derek Henry signed his franchise tender today. The club and running back are hoping to sign a long-term extension before July 15.
– Eddie Sutton was elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
PODCAST: In the last podcast l discussed another Chiefs’ re-signing and a player lost, an exciting new home-and-home series for Kansas basketball, a Major League Baseball decision on when the season will start and an in-depth look at the current state of college sports and where things are headed after an abrupt end to the winter and spring sports seasons. Give it a listen wherever you get your podcasts.
DROP ME A NOTE: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor. I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
STAY INFORMED: If you haven’t already signed up for email updates please consider it. I would like to keep you informed of all of the latest changes.
Thanks for reading…