The Chiefs lost another player from their Super Bowl winning roster. The Royals made a few roster moves. A former top running back was cut. Major League Baseball is going to help minor leaguers get through this tough time.
Here is your daily Dr. Feelgood…
– Former Chief OL Stefen Wisniewski agreed to a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
– The Royals optioned Kelvin Gutierrez, Kyle Zimmer and Gabe Speier to Triple-A Omaha. Zimmer was recently awarded a fourth year option.
IN THE NEWS…
– The Los Angeles Rams released RB Todd Gurley. The Rams avoided paying him an additional $10.5 million by releasing him.
– New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton tasted positive for the Wuhan Chinese coronavirus. He is the first NFL person known to treat positive.
– Boston Red Sox LHP Chris Sale will have Tommy John surgery. The date of the surgery is unknown at this time which could be because hospitals are busy with the Wuhan Chinese coronavirus.
– Major League Soccer extended its suspension of the season for eight more weeks as recommended by the CDC. The league is targeting May 10 as the day they will resume play.
– Major League Baseball is going to help minor league players financially even though there are no games. MLB is going to pay each minor league player a lump sum amount equal to what they would have been paid through April 8.
– UAB hired Andy Kennedy as its next head basketball coach.
PODCAST: The Thursday night podcast was a lot about football. Free agency started this week and so far the Chiefs have been quiet. What might they do in the next week or two?
DROP ME A NOTE: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor. I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
STAY INFORMED: If you haven’t already signed up for email updates please consider it. I would like to keep you informed of all of the latest changes.
Thanks for reading…