Jorge Lopez has a second consecutive quality start for the Royals. Kansas State continues its losing ways. Andy Reid and Brett Veach talked at the NFL combine.
Here is your daily Dr. Feelgood…
KANSAS STATE AT BAYLOR
This game was over early. Baylor dominated Kansas State. The Wildcats defense has not been what we normally expect from a Bruce Weber team. Kansas State hosts Kansas on Saturday.
– Jorge Lopez got the start for the Royals on Tuesday against the Texas Rangers. He had his second sharp start of the spring. In this start he went 2 2/3 innings and allowed just one hit and collected five strikeouts. There’s a long way to go but Lopez is off to a good start trying to win the fifth starter spot in the rotation.
– Trevor Rosenthal was scheduled to pitch Tuesday but didn’t because of calf tightness.
– Jakob Junis is scheduled to be the starter for the Royals on Thursday.
– Andy Reid talked with the media at the NFL combine on Tuesday. Reid said that Patrick Mahomes is already working out and won’t need surgery on the knee he dislocated during the season. He also said that Sammy Watkins is in a good place after Watkins previously said that he might sit out the season, presumably if he were cut by the Chiefs. Reid also said that he sees Mecole Hardman as a starter in a three-receiver set.
– General Manager Brett Veach also spoke with the media. He said that Chris Jones is a priority for the team but that these things take time to work out. He has a meeting set up with Jones’ agents in the next couple of days. He did say that he would like to sign Jones and have him continue to play alongside Frank Clark. Veach said that his intent is to keep Jones in Kansas City. He said that it is a challenge but not impossible. Veach also plans to have a discussion with Sammy Watkins’ agent this week. Watkins might have to restructure his contract to stay with the team. Veach expects either Matt Moore or Chad Henne to return next season as Patrick Mahomes’ backup but not both.
– Juan Thornhill is expected to be ready by opening day. His ACL injury was reportedly not as bad as expected when doctors performed surgery.
IN THE NEWS
– New York Yankees pitcher Luis Severino will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2020 season.
– The next World Baseball Classic will be played March 9-23, 2021.
– Ohio State signed head football coach Ryan Day to a three year contract extension. The extension keeps him at Ohio State through the 2026 season.
TODAY: Missouri travels to Vanderbilt tonight to take on the Commodores at 8:00 pm.
PODCAST: In Sunday’s podcast I talked a lot about the Kansas win over Baylor on Saturday. I also looked at the rest of the regular season for all three local colleges, the conference tournaments, and the NCAA tournament.
DROP ME A NOTE: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor. I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
STAY INFORMED: If you haven’t already signed up for email updates please consider it. I would like to keep you informed of all of the latest changes.
Thanks for reading…