The Kansas Jayhawks figured to win big over Iowa State in Lawrence on Monday and that’s exactly what they did. There was a scary crash at the end of the Daytona 500 that put Ryan Newman in the hospital in serious, but not life-threatening, condition.
Here is your daily Dr. Feelgood…
KANSAS (91) VS IOWA STATE (71)
Udoka Azubuike is the most important player for Kansas but there are others. Monday night it was Devon Dotson’s game. Dotson, who entered the game shooting under 30% from three, went 6-for-8 from behind the arc and finished with 29 points. He shot 11-for-14 overall. And the strangest thing about this game for Dotson was that he was just 1-for-1 from the free-throw line. His game is getting to the free-throw line.
Kansas was terrific on offense shooting 57% from the field and 44% from behind the arc. But they also struggled mightily on defense, especially running Iowa State shooters off of the three-point line. The Cyclones started 9-for-11 from the three-point line and then finished 11-for-23. But we knew there was no way they could keep up the outside shooting they had in the first half.
In addition to Dotson, Ochai Agbaji was terrific offensively. Not defensively. Offensively. He drove to the basket better than he had previously this season. He scored 14 points on 6-for-10 shooting and 2-for-6 behind the arc.
Finally, don’t forget about Christian Braun. Braun was 5-for-6 shooting including 3-for-4 behind the arc. He pulled down three rebounds while often guarding players much larger than him.
Kansas did its job to make the Saturday game at Baylor a huge one. Baylor gets a chance on Tuesday to stay a game ahead of the Jayhawks.
– Monday was the first day of full-squad workouts for the Royals. The games start on Friday.
– Greg Holland and Trevor Rosenthal can opt-out of their contracts on March 26. If they don’t make the 26-man roster look for both to opt-out. But, if they show anything at all, expect them to make the roster.
IN THE NEWS
– Denny Hamlin won a rain-delayed Daytona 500 completed on Monday. It was the second consecutive year that Hamlin won NASCAR’s biggest race.
– Ryan Newman was involved in a serious wreck at the end of the race which saw his car flip over and then get hit by another car. Newman was taken to the hospital. NASCAR later announced that Newman was in serious condition but his injuries were not life-threatening.
– Mike Trout said that he has lost respect for the Astros and wondered what it would be like if he knew which pitch was coming.
– The Atlantic Cost Conference announced that they support a one-time transfer opportunity for all student-athletes. The Big Ten had previously announced support for this.
– The Boston Red Sox released a statement explaining to their fans why they had to trade Mookie Betts. They said they could not let Betts walk as a free agent after the season. The Royals can learn something from this. This is the kind of thing I have consistently said the Royals have to do. They have to trade players instead of letting them walk.
TODAY: I’m looking forward to watching Missouri host Mississippi to see how they respond to their big upset over Auburn on Saturday. That game starts at 7:30 pm. At 8:00 pm Baylor travels to Oklahoma in what I see as one of three possible games the Bears could lose the rest of the regular season. I expect Baylor to win but would not be shocked if Oklahoma pulled off the upset. So I recommend flipping between these two games. At least they are staggered by 30 minutes so if it’s close in Norman at the end we should be able to see the final ten minutes or so.
PODCAST: The Sunday night podcast was about college hoops, the Royals and Major League Baseball. Give it a listen wherever you get your podcasts and send me your feedback.
DROP ME A NOTE: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @KCSportsMonitor. I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions and I might include them in a future column or podcast. Also, if you have an event in the Kansas City area that you would like to have mentioned in a future column please let me know and I would be glad to include it.
STAY INFORMED: If you haven’t already signed up for email updates please consider it. I would like to keep you informed of all of the latest changes.
Thanks for reading…